Frequently Asked Questions
1. What batteries do we rebuild?
We rebuild batteries for laptop computers, power tools, vacuum cleaners, auto diagnosis equipment, and other divices with Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh, Li-ion batteries.
2. How is the rebuilt power tool battery cost-effective?
Buying new professional electronics and tools is very expensive. We use the highest quality materials, so your rebuilt batteries will outlast and outperform new batteries. This will save you from having to buy new batteries and equipment in the future. We fix the problem!
3. Should you rebuild a laptop battery or buy a new original battery?
- While a new original battery will cost about $120.00 CAD, the approximate cost of a CHANS rebuilt battery will on average cost no more than $50 CAD, a savings of at least 50%
- We use only fresh, newly produced factory supplied Li-ion cells
- Many batteries that are sold in stores have been produced months or even years ago and can continue to lose their charge while awaiting sale in the sellers stock.
As a result, the cells in these "new" batteries have lost their capacity.
4. Would it be more cost-effective to buy a low-cost replacement battery?
- Our experience has proven that the cells used in many replacement batteries are old at the time the battery is produced. We have also seen batteries where
the cells were from several different manufacturers. If the low-cost replacement battery contained 'new' quality cells, the price would be much higher!
- A replacement laptop battery might not be compatible with the laptop brand or is unable to perform to full capacity due to a malfunction of the internal controller
- In most cases it is not possible to repair a replacement battery.
5. What warranty do we give?
We give 12 months for laptop batteries and Li-ion power tool batteries, and 6 months for Ni-Cd / Ni-Mh power tools batteries. Read more
6. How long does it take to rebuild a battery?
The average time needed is 1-2 business days, excluding holidays. The repair time may vary slightly depending
on the size of your service order and the availability of stock needed to fulfill your order.
7. Can you rebuild a battery while I wait?
One day battery rebuilds are sometimes possible
depending on the type of battery and availability of parts and labour. A one day rebuild service will add a cost of $10.00 CAD to the price.
8. What method of payment do you accept?
We accept cash, Interact E-transfers, direct bank deposit, and business cheques.
9. Do you replace all battery cells or only the dead ones?
Our commitment is to rebuild a battery with a guaranteed quality. Replacing cells selectively is not cost-effective because if we only replace some cells today, you may find
yourself coming back tomorrow to fix the non-replaced cells that have now also failed. This is a waste of your time and money, and your satisfaction is our primary concern. We fix the entire device.
10. What is the method used to replace the battery cells?
We use a spot welding machine and nickel tape to connect the battery cells into the battery pack.
11. Do you test the cells prior to installing them into a battery?
We use a specialized Ni-Cd and Li-ion cell analyzer to balance or 'equalize' the voltage of the battery cells ensuring the battery will charge to maximum capacity
12. What if you are not sure if the problem is a dead battery or if something is wrong with your device or charger?
We offer complimentary on-site battery testing when a battery is dropped off by customers.
13. How long will a laptop / power tool run independent of a wired power source if using a rebuilt battery?
The rebuilt battery doesn't differ from the original battery. Consult the runtime in the technical documentation of your laptop / drill to find this.
14. Can any battery be repaired?
We can repair approximately 95% of all Li-ion, Ni-Cd, N-Mh batteries.
15. How many times can a battery be rebuilt?
Our 11 years' experience has shown us that most batteries can be rebuilt several times without compromising performance or quality.
16. Do you have the special software for the battery microcontroller initialization?
CHANS has proprietary ownership of the unique software that allows us to write the manufacturer settings into the controller.
17. How to exrend li-ion battery life?
We like the recommendations from www.Apple.com:
" - Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device's battery - charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.
- Power down the device to avoid additional battery use.
- Place your device in a cool, moisture-free environment that's less than 90 F (32 C).
- If you plan to store your device for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months."